Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why can't I copy/paste passwords into the import brokerage logon screen?

Apparently no one at Intuit is listening. This behavior in TurboTax is really stupid.  We all use long, complex passwords for security purposes but TurboTax makes them extremely difficult to use.

Intuit - Please consider changing this terrible defect in TurboTax.

Randy Harris

I've put up with it for a few years now but I can't anymore. This year wealthfront requires an auto-generated app-only password that is 32 characters long and I just can't type all that without making mistakes (worse yet, the password field in TT is masked '***' so there is no way to figure out which character is wrong.

I wrote a tool to work-around that, you can get more information here: [removed]

This issue has been around for years and every year I complain about it. Clearly intuit doesn't care. Donna your answer is absurd and your unwillingness to even re-engage is shameful. I think next year I will need to look for a new tax software. That is a shame as I have been using turbotax for a very long time.

Thank you jbowler! You are more helpful than intuit! This is a good workaround, but intuit really needs to fix this.

SOMEONE READ THIS THREAD AND FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! SO ANNOYING

RT26
Level 1

Thank you ReinaK and jbowler.  The AutoHotKey workaround works, but I agree with others that this is a completely unnecessary problem requiring a workaround in the first place.  CTRL-V works elsewhere in the TT program, so it appears to be intentional that it's disabled for the brokerage document import feature.  If they take such a wrong-headed approach to NIST recommendations for real security on this item, it makes me wonder how serious they are about security elsewhere.

To add to the Chorus - this is really stupid and reduces security as I end up pasting the 32-character app password I need onto a scratch pad to type it in.

PLEASE FIX THIS

This is torture!  Please make this SIMPLE fix.  If you don't agree, please type this 100 times:

[removed]

Could we get someone from intuit to respond to this question?

The AutoHotKey fix works.  PLEASE update the answer in the 1st post so people don't miss it and have to read this whole bleeping thread. 

Time to update this since no one in charge will.  Do this:

1. Download "autohotkey" from the https://www.autohotkey.com/ web site.
  2. Follow the instructions given when you run it first; all you have to do is create a new .ahk file somewhere (right click in Windows explorer, new/AutoHotKeyScript).  Give it an easily remembered name, e.g. "fixturbotax.ahk", and edit it (right click on the file, select "Edit Script").
  3. Insert this line (slightly changed from above):
    ^!v::Send {Raw}%clipboard%
  4. Save the file, double click it.

After doing this every time you hold down the control and the alt keys while typing "v" AutoHotKey will type the contents of the clipboard into the computer, just as you might but without typos.

Previous the suggestion was to use "^+v", which is control+shift.  This no longer works because a Windows update hijacked that sequence for "paste plain text..."  You can change the sequence you use but if you do check first that the new sequence does not already do something.

You have to run the script (double click it) each time you log in or restart the computer.  There's probably some way of turning it off but I don't know what that is.

Sorry to cross post, but how do I submit a new bug report?  TheTruboFaxz implementation of Form 1116 is totally utterly broken in 2020; it insists you enter your net worth and say how much of it is in the US and divided it by the US and elsewhere.  Makes me think TT is still living in the last administration 🙂  Anyway, Line 3(a) is broken so I want to report it as a bug but I can't find any way to do it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jbowler Thank you for your feedback regarding what you are having with Form 1116. The best way to handle this is to contact us so we can help resolve your issue. 

So @Anonymous, clearly turbotax is monitoring this thread. You took the time to answer a question that isn't even on topic. Could you or someone from TT take a few minutes and at least acknowledge that TT is aware that there are paying customers that are not happy with the service. Honestly I would rather have a TT employee reply and say that there is no interest in changing the way this works than to be completely ignored!

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

@aboutreadytoleave If you are speaking of Form 1116, this is an experience that has been reported.  It is being worked on, but at this point no further information is available.  Thank you for your patience while we continue to work through this challenging year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies