Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why are Estimated Tax Vouchers showing up with my federal taxes when I review the forms before e-filing? They shouldn't be there.

This has been reported before and it seems like a bug but no official answer on this.  I've never had estimated taxes vouchers print before with the e-filing.  I'm not self-employed and my employer hasn't changed what they've been doing, so this seems like a mistake on TurboTax's part.  

This is hard to just ignore and file.  Would prefer they aren't on the e-filing.  Seeking some new input on this bug / issue in time before I submit the e-file.

Thank you!! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why are Estimated Tax Vouchers showing up with my federal taxes when I review the forms before e-filing? They shouldn't be there.

The 1040ES vouchers are optional to use.  You are not required to use them.  If you expect to owe at least $1000 next year then making estimated quarterly payments helps you to avoid a big tax bill and a possible underpayment penalty at tax time next year.  But you can ignore them or shred them if you want to.  They are not sent to the IRS---so you can relax. They were not generated due to a bug or a mistake.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The 1040ES vouchers are optional to use.  You are not required to use them.  If you expect to owe at least $1000 next year then making estimated quarterly payments helps you to avoid a big tax bill and a possible underpayment penalty at tax time next year.  But you can ignore them or shred them if you want to.  They are not sent to the IRS---so you can relax. They were not generated due to a bug or a mistake.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for your reply.  Luckily I've always gotten a return, not had to pay in.  That's why this is so odd.  Same kind of return last year and they weren't there in the e-filing.  If it's not a bug but rather something new TurboTax is doing it could help if it was explained on the e-filing it is ok to ignore or the preferred option, they're just not there.  Either option, it would save so much time eh.  I'll ignore them as best I can.  🙂  Thank you again for your reply!

They are optional to pay. Turbo Tax is very conservative and doesn't want you to owe too much next year. They might have printed out if you got a one time large income this year. Like if you took a IRA or 401K distribution. You can ignore them. You might want to adjust your withholding at work so you won't owe too much next year.

If you are receiving a refund or low tax due and TurboTax prepared the vouchers then your tax liability was probably reduced by credits.

No IRA or 401K stuff happening this year or ever, so far.  We are seeing a refund as we typically do.  Not following about tax liability was probably reduced by credits.  Not aware of credits involved, but as you can guess, not knowledgeable enough on all tax info stuff, my apologies.  Thank you for your reply, I am hearing you about the optional part.  🙂  Would just rather they not be there, but from the other reply, it seems safe to ignore, it's not going to the IRS.  Thanks again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies