turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why am I still being told to file when my partner filed jointly? It saying I could incur penalty fees.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Why am I still being told to file when my partner filed jointly? It saying I could incur penalty fees.

TurboTax does not know that you already filed a tax return using another account or service.  You can disregard these emails requesting you to file a tax return from your account.

TomD8
Level 15

"...my partner filed jointly..."

Are you and your partner legally married?  You must be legally married in order to file a joint tax return.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Yes legally married. 

@DoninGA wrote:

TurboTax does not know that you already filed a tax return using another account or service.  You can disregard these emails requesting you to file a tax return from your account.

Specifically, if you have an old account, Turbotax knows that account has not filed.  But it doesn't know if you filed with a different account, because taxpayer privacy laws mean that the tax department can't send your SSN to the marketing department to check against the email list.

If you are going to abandon your old account since you are now filing jointly, you should take the opportunity to download copies of your tax data files and your PDF tax returns.  You may become locked out of your old account if you don't use it for a couple of years. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies