turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why am I being charged so much?

When I first signed up there was  $29.99 fee to file, but on the confirmation page there are two charges for $29.99 and a charge for $34.99, which totals almost $95. Why am I being charged so much when in the beginning it only stated $29.99?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Heather14

It sounds as if you are talking about the Refund Processing Service, which lets you deduct your TurboTax fees from your federal tax refund. You can remove this from your return, and elect to pay your fees with a credit or debit card, as well as to receive your refund by direct deposit.  

To remove the Refund Processing Service, please see the instructions listed in the TurboTax FAQ below.

Please note that once your e-filed return is in  pending  or  accepted  status, it's too late to remove the Refund Processing Service.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5007885

After removing the Refund Processing Service,  you can change your direct deposit information when you go through the interview to file your return (File, File a Return), you will get to the screen that asks How do you want your Federal Refund?, check Direct Deposit (if not already checked), under that you can make changes to your bank information.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Heather14

It sounds as if you are talking about the Refund Processing Service, which lets you deduct your TurboTax fees from your federal tax refund. You can remove this from your return, and elect to pay your fees with a credit or debit card, as well as to receive your refund by direct deposit.  

To remove the Refund Processing Service, please see the instructions listed in the TurboTax FAQ below.

Please note that once your e-filed return is in  pending  or  accepted  status, it's too late to remove the Refund Processing Service.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5007885

After removing the Refund Processing Service,  you can change your direct deposit information when you go through the interview to file your return (File, File a Return), you will get to the screen that asks How do you want your Federal Refund?, check Direct Deposit (if not already checked), under that you can make changes to your bank information.

lmlndry58

I have been in touch with my bank to inform them that you fraudulently charged my account for approximately $170.00.

I did not authorize this and I have never paid this much to use your services.

I have yet to receive my federal refund and for all I know that is on you.

It is unacceptable to me to receive "NO REPLY" emails from you or anyone else that is threatening to charge my account.

I ask that you send me proof of my consent for these charges.  In the meantime, I owe you absolutely nothing until I receive my federal refund.

I will not be using Turbo Tax again.

@lmlndry58 

When you used the option to have the TurboTax account fees paid from the federal tax refund, you also authorized Intuit/TurboTax to debit your bank account for the account fees if the refund was reduced by the IRS or delayed.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for payment of the account fees - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-was-my-bank-account-auto-debited-for-tur...

INTUIT TERMS OF SERVICE FOR TURBOTAX ONLINE TAX PREPARATION SERVICES

Tax year 2020

https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/softwarelicense/

15. GENERAL.

5. THIRD PARTY SERVICES

If you sign up for the Refund Processing Service which may enable you to deduct certain fees and any applicable tax from the proceeds of your tax refund, you authorize Intuit (and its third party processor) to debit these amounts (excluding the Refund Processing Service Fee) from the bank account you identify as your Direct Deposit Bank Account in the event that you do not receive a tax refund that is sufficient to pay for them or in the event that your tax refund is delayed. Note that the Refund Processing Service fee is payable to the bank whether or not your refund is large enough to cover your TurboTax fees.

There's many other tax prep outfits other than TurboTax.

At least one is entirely free for IRS 1040 regardless of your income.

The forum moderators get upset if we name them here.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies