turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

who has to file?

My disabled adult daughter has been filing taxes for many years but she is now on disability and only earns minimum wage, working only 10 -25 hours a week.  I do all her financial handling for her due to her disability.  Her income last year was $4,873.  Does she even have to file a return at all?  If she doesn't, do I have to file anything letting IRS know why she's not filing?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

who has to file?

If your daughter is receiving Social Security disability and only about $4800 of other income she probably will not need to file a tax return at all.

You need to file a federal return if half your Social Security plus your other income is $25,000 when filing single or head of household, or $32,000 when filing married filing jointly, $0 if you are filing married filing separately.

And, no you do not have to file anything to tell the IRS that she will not be filing a tax return.

Who has to file?

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Do-I-Need-to-File-a-Tax-Return%3F

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

who has to file?

Hi,

And as a side note, if your daughters overall taxable income is in under the Standard Deduction, the only reason you would be filing is to recover any Federal or State income taxes that may have been withheld on any earned income or worst case, disability benefits, in not knowing how you have been managing the financial aspect of her financial needs.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

who has to file?

If your daughter is receiving Social Security disability and only about $4800 of other income she probably will not need to file a tax return at all.

You need to file a federal return if half your Social Security plus your other income is $25,000 when filing single or head of household, or $32,000 when filing married filing jointly, $0 if you are filing married filing separately.

And, no you do not have to file anything to tell the IRS that she will not be filing a tax return.

Who has to file?

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Do-I-Need-to-File-a-Tax-Return%3F

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

who has to file?

Hi,

And as a side note, if your daughters overall taxable income is in under the Standard Deduction, the only reason you would be filing is to recover any Federal or State income taxes that may have been withheld on any earned income or worst case, disability benefits, in not knowing how you have been managing the financial aspect of her financial needs.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

who has to file?

Thank you!  You made it so simple!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies