Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Who decided I can't paste the password when downloading from a financial institution.\?

This is beyond stupid as others have pointed out.

I will vote with my $, no more TT for me!

shashimi
Returning Member

Who decided I can't paste the password when downloading from a financial institution.\?

As many have indicated this is one of the STUPIDEST thing to do.

By preventing users to paste password from password managers, you are making everything LESS SAFE. Claiming this is for security is totally moronic! The only thing it does is pushing your paid customers over the edge and buy an alternative to Turbo Tax. The user experience and "so-called guidance" has never been great, but was borderline tolerable. Forcing your users to type complex long password (as they should be, unless you are still using your spouse name and dob as password? lol), and obvioulsy fail a few times, or enter everything by hand. Pathetic software.

"It's a security measure"

By making it less secure - not helpful.  Who decided this?  Needs to go back to kindergarten.

Not being able to paste a password makes it less secure!

Please update the program to correct this misguided mistake.

I disagree that this is a security measure.  This is an anti-security measure.  Password managers (wallets) are useful security tools because they help us use very complex and secure passwords.  Disallowing "paste" means that we need to have a copy of the password in clear text in clear view, which is hardly a security measure. 

go to this website. you can create a pasting script to bypass their restriction...

https://www.autohotkey.com/

I can't believe this is still getting replies 3 years after my report. Apparently, the programmer is not only dumber than a bag of hammers, but he is stubborn, too.

This year, I find that I can import from Fidelity Investments without dealing with the broken TurboTax authenticator. TurboTax has some sort of back-door connection they establish to Fidelity where Fidelity handles the authentication and TurboTax can import the stuff that way.

The problem here is that the back-door connection remains live for some indeterminate time, and I cannot break out of that. I will have to wait some long time, try the connection, and hope to get the authentication pop-up from Fidelity again. That way we could use my wife's authentication to get to her accounts.

crc5
Level 1

Agreed! This is total baloney. Passwords for banking are long and complex blocking a password manager from completing the password is terrible. Please turbo tax fix this HUGE inconvenience. It's the one thing that makes me want to switch programs each year.

Here it is 2024 and same problem. I note that I can log into this TurboTax page using cut-and-paste but the indescribably dumb developers don't let me do so in the tax app. Where it's really needed. Phooey.

I'm in agreement that the customer should be able to paste in data - for both passwords and for the document number  that also gets entered into the second field for importing 1099 data - it make it much harder to enter the data when one cannot paste. And as other people have said, it leads one to make errors by  being forced to type in a long password or document number - happened to me at least twice already. And then it causes one to bypass the download and then type in the 1099 data, which also increases the possibilities of tax return mistakes.

As a "customer-focused company" that "believes everyone should have the opportunity to prosper and we never stop working to find new innovative ways to make that possible" as Intuit you says they are, TurboTax used to make it so easy to give feedback on the product on each page of the software.

Now it seems next to impossible to provide feedback, and the fact this post has been going in since March 2020 (almost 4 years ago) seems to support weaknesses in being a "customer-focused company." 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies