turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Which Name to Use??

Hello,

My wife are filing our taxes using turbotax jointly.  Which Name should I use in the "Personal Info" for my wife - should it be the Maiden Name or the New Name?  See screenshotScreen Shot 2020-06-21 at 7.57.06 PM.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Which Name to Use??

The name that in on her SS card.   That is what the IRS matches against.  (If just recently changed with the Social Security Administration the IRS data base might still have the old information.)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Which Name to Use??

Ok that makes sense. This is going to be interesting.  Do you know what the IRS place where we can call or if they still have chat or email for us to ask some of these questions?

Which Name to Use??

There is nobody at the IRS that you can talk to who can access the separate e-file system database - only e-file technicians can access that and you cannot talk to them.    Try the new name and if it rejects with a name mismatch then use the old name.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies