I made an extension payment through IRS website. I could not find a place to enter this amount.
Here's how to navigate in Online TurboTax to report the extension payment so you get credit for it:
- In the left menu column, click the Federal tab
- Then click the subtab Deductions & Credits.
- Scroll way down on the "Tax Breaks" screen until you see the category "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid."
- Click "Show More" to expand the subtopics, and choose "Income Taxes Paid." (click Start or Revisit).
- On the next screen, titled "Income Taxes Paid," you should see a category of "Payments with Extension." Choose the type of extension payment and click Start or Revisit.
NOTE: If this is a Federal extension payment, before filing verify that the payment shows up on Schedule 3, Line 10. It should also be included in the figure showing on your Federal Form 1040, Line 31.
If you have a state or local extension payment, verify the respective state/local payment shows up on that return, too.
To enter the amount you paid with an extension (including state extension) go to
Federal Taxes (or Personal for desktop H&B version)
Deductions and Credits
Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Update button
Next page second section Payments with Extension
Either Visit All or Click Start or Update by the extension you paid