Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I report a health insurance premium refund?

I received a small refund check (a portion of premiums paid) in 2018 from the health insurance company I had in 2017 because of the Affordable Care Act's "Medical Loss Ratio" requirement. Do I report this on my tax return, and if so, where on TurboTax would I report it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

It depends if you deducted your health insurance premiums and the deduction caused a your refund to increase or your amount due to decrease (aka tax break). 

If you received a tax break, you would enter it on Form 1040, line 21. Here's how:

1. On the left navigation side, select Federal.
  2. Under the Income & Expenses tab, scroll down to All Income.
  3. Scroll down to Less Common Income, click on Show more.
  4. Scroll down to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C and click on Start/Revisit.
  5. On the next page, scroll down to Other reportable income and click on Start.
  6. Continue until you get to the Other Taxable Income screen and enter a Description and the amount and Continue.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

It depends if you deducted your health insurance premiums and the deduction caused a your refund to increase or your amount due to decrease (aka tax break). 

If you received a tax break, you would enter it on Form 1040, line 21. Here's how:

1. On the left navigation side, select Federal.
  2. Under the Income & Expenses tab, scroll down to All Income.
  3. Scroll down to Less Common Income, click on Show more.
  4. Scroll down to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C and click on Start/Revisit.
  5. On the next page, scroll down to Other reportable income and click on Start.
  6. Continue until you get to the Other Taxable Income screen and enter a Description and the amount and Continue.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies