Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lukens02

Where do I list an extension payment on my California tax return?

We filed an extension for CA taxes in April. (We live in PA.) We sent a payment with our extension, but now cannot find where to enter that payment on our CA state tax form. We paid money and now our final return shares we owe nothing. We'd like a refund.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

You actually enter any estimated tax payments, including payments made with extension, into your federal tax return.  Those payments are then transferred into your state return(s).  The TurboTax FAQ info below will instruct you on entering those payments into your federal tax return.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300049

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

After you enter it on the federal side, To get the amount paid on a state extension to show up on the state return……
When you are done updating your federal return, you need to transfer the new federal information by going back through the state tab and the state return. Nothing will change until you transfer the fed info to the state again.
JMauss

This answer does not address at all how to enter a payment made with multiple states as you cannot enter them in the federal area.

My old note says......

Since you've made multiple state extension payments, you will need to enter the total amount of state extension payments you've made. The program will enter this total on your federal return but you will need to go to each state return and enter the extension payment in the state interview for it to be accurately reported on yout state return.

For Online versions:

Although tedious and buried in TurboTax online, you can enter in payments made with extensions for multiple states.  You have to go into the interview for each state and get to the section regarding filing an extension.  Once there, you will need to say you are going to file an extension and then it will eventually trigger a screen asking for the payment amount you will make with the extension.  Once the amount is entered it will populate on the corresponding form and you should see the TurboTax refund meter adjust accordingly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies