Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Where do I have to include unemployment benefits from an foreing country

I have two sources of incomes from outside the US, wages and unemployment benefits? I ssume that I can report the wages undr the section "Foreign Earned Income", but where do I report the unemployment benefits that I got from a foreign country? As it is not an earned income it is not eligible to be exlcuded
1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

Where do I have to include unemployment benefits from an foreing country

You can enter the foreign unemployment benefits as Miscellaneous Iincome.

You can enter it as Miscellaneous Income, using these steps:

  1. Click on Federal Taxes > Wages & Income  [If you're in TT Self-EmployedPersonal > Personal Income ]
  2. In the Less Common Income section , click on the Start/Update box next to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C [See Screenshot #1, below.]
  3. On the Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income screen, click the Start/Update box next to Other reportable income. [Screenshot #2] 
  4. On the screen, Any Other Taxable Income? click the Yes box.  [Screenshot #3]
  5. On the next screen, Other Taxable Income, enter a description and the amount.  Click Continue[Screenshot #4]
  6. The amount entered will appear on line 21 of the 1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies