Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter unallowable operating expense from 2017 business closed in 2018 deluxe version?

I had used 2017 home & business version to close out a business I have unallowable operating expense for that year. How do I carry over into 2018 deluxe version?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertG
Expert Alumni

Where do I enter unallowable operating expense from 2017 business closed in 2018 deluxe version?

The IRS says:

"If your business expenses related to the home are greater than the current year's limit, you can carry over the excess to the next year in which you use actual expenses. They are subject to the deduction limit for that year, whether or not you live in the same home during that year."

Publication 587

The home office expenses cannot be carried over to a year where there is no net income from self employment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

What kind of unallowable expenses are being carried over?

If the business was discontinued, carried over items are usually closed out on the return for the year the business was closed.

If you indicated on the 2019 return that you closed the business, you should have been prompted to report the disposition of assets. 

On 8829 line 42 if helps. For some reason would not give me the part home office expense. Carryover of unallowable expenses to 2018.

This was a business had in Missouri thru 2017. 2018 I worked a regular job with 

W2

I am working on 2018 taxes

RobertG
Expert Alumni

The IRS says:

"If your business expenses related to the home are greater than the current year's limit, you can carry over the excess to the next year in which you use actual expenses. They are subject to the deduction limit for that year, whether or not you live in the same home during that year."

Publication 587

The home office expenses cannot be carried over to a year where there is no net income from self employment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies