Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bonusm

Where do i enter sales tax

I have paid sales tax the whole year I can't find it on turbotax program.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

It depends on what type of sales tax you are asking about

Self-employment sales tax on items sold by your business -

The sales tax that you collect on your items sold and remitted to the state's Department of Revenue is not reported as an expense related to your business. Also, you will need to make sure that your gross sales total does not include the state sales taxes collected for remittance.

So when reporting your business income and expenses, reduce the gross sales total by the any amount of included state sales tax and do not include these remitted state sales taxes as a business expense.

Please refer to this IRS link for more information about Business Expenses

Self-employment sales tax on items purchased by your business -

You will include the sales tax you pay to purchase an item for your business as part of the cost basis on the item purchased.

Personal sales tax deduction -

You will only be able to claim this sales tax deduction if you itemize and you are not claiming a state income tax deduction (You are only allowed to claim either a state sales tax deduction or a state income tax deduction but not both.)

Please note that you will only be able to take this deduction if you itemize on your return. The TurboTax program will give you the greater of the standard deduction or the itemized deduction based on your particular situation:

To enter this transaction in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "Sales Tax Deduction" in the search bar then select "jump to Sales Tax Deduction". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DS30

It depends on what type of sales tax you are asking about

Self-employment sales tax on items sold by your business -

The sales tax that you collect on your items sold and remitted to the state's Department of Revenue is not reported as an expense related to your business. Also, you will need to make sure that your gross sales total does not include the state sales taxes collected for remittance.

So when reporting your business income and expenses, reduce the gross sales total by the any amount of included state sales tax and do not include these remitted state sales taxes as a business expense.

Please refer to this IRS link for more information about Business Expenses

Self-employment sales tax on items purchased by your business -

You will include the sales tax you pay to purchase an item for your business as part of the cost basis on the item purchased.

Personal sales tax deduction -

You will only be able to claim this sales tax deduction if you itemize and you are not claiming a state income tax deduction (You are only allowed to claim either a state sales tax deduction or a state income tax deduction but not both.)

Please note that you will only be able to take this deduction if you itemize on your return. The TurboTax program will give you the greater of the standard deduction or the itemized deduction based on your particular situation:

To enter this transaction in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "Sales Tax Deduction" in the search bar then select "jump to Sales Tax Deduction". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information.

bought a car in 2021

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Sales tax for a car bought in 2021 can be used on itemized deductions if you have more expenses than the standard deduction.

The standard deduction for 2021 is: 

• The standard deduction for married couples filing jointly for tax year 2021 rises to $25,100, up $300 from the prior year.
  • For single taxpayers and married individuals filing separately, the standard deduction rises to $12,550 for 2021, up $150, and
  • For heads of households, the standard deduction will be $18,800 for tax year 2021, up $150. 

Taxpayers who are at least 65 years old or blind can claim an additional 2021 standard deduction of $1,350 ($1,700 if using the single or head of household filing status). For anyone who is both 65 and blind, the additional deduction amount is double.  You're considered to be 65 on the day before your 65th birthday. 

@iwantmoney

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies