turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kjkiely

Where do I enter my 1099-MISC for my AmeriCorps education award on Turbo Tax so that it is not subject to self-employment tax?

Most answers to this question online direct you to select "Less Common Income" then "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C" then "Other Reportable Income," but when I try this, the page says not to enter an amount from form 1099-MISC, which is the form that I'm trying to use.

Everywhere else I try to enter the amount ends up charging me a self-employment tax, but I was not self-employed. I earned the education award after completing a term of service with AmeriCorps and the amount was paid from the Corporation for National and Community Service to the institutions where I had student loans.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Where do I enter my 1099-MISC for my AmeriCorps education award on Turbo Tax so that it is not subject to self-employment tax?

You found the correct instructions, but it is really hard to find in the program. 

FOR THE ONLINE PROGRAMS:

Sign into your account and start the return (Pick up where I left off)

Click Federal on the left side-bar

Click Wages & Income along the top

(Click  “I’ll pick what I want to work on” and click  “Add Income” and “See list of all income” if needed)

Under Income scroll to the bottom and click Show more under “Less Common Income”

Scroll to the bottom “Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C" and click Start

Scroll to the last choice and click Start next to “Other reportable income”

(this screen says “Do not enter income reported on Form 1099-MISC. Please disregard this warning for the Americorp 1099-MISC)

Enter Americorps 1099-MISC as the description and the amount and Continue

Click Done on the next page

The online program puts the amount on line 21 with the description of “Americorps 1099-MISC".

It will not be treated as self-employment. 

FOR DESKTOP:

see screenshots below

When you get to the Income section, SCROLL PAST Miscellaneous 1099-MISC and Other Income to Miscellaneous Income 1099-A, 1099-C located at the bottom of the list. 

Click Start and again go to the bottom of the list to "Other reportable income" and click Start

Continue from there. See screenshots for assistance. 

The income will show as a line item on line 1 of the 1040 and not as Self-employment. 

[edited 01/31/2019 I 3:28pm]

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5234727

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Please see update for the online programs. The navigation is quite different between the Desktop and the Online versions.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

You found the correct instructions, but it is really hard to find in the program. 

FOR THE ONLINE PROGRAMS:

Sign into your account and start the return (Pick up where I left off)

Click Federal on the left side-bar

Click Wages & Income along the top

(Click  “I’ll pick what I want to work on” and click  “Add Income” and “See list of all income” if needed)

Under Income scroll to the bottom and click Show more under “Less Common Income”

Scroll to the bottom “Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C" and click Start

Scroll to the last choice and click Start next to “Other reportable income”

(this screen says “Do not enter income reported on Form 1099-MISC. Please disregard this warning for the Americorp 1099-MISC)

Enter Americorps 1099-MISC as the description and the amount and Continue

Click Done on the next page

The online program puts the amount on line 21 with the description of “Americorps 1099-MISC".

It will not be treated as self-employment. 

FOR DESKTOP:

see screenshots below

When you get to the Income section, SCROLL PAST Miscellaneous 1099-MISC and Other Income to Miscellaneous Income 1099-A, 1099-C located at the bottom of the list. 

Click Start and again go to the bottom of the list to "Other reportable income" and click Start

Continue from there. See screenshots for assistance. 

The income will show as a line item on line 1 of the 1040 and not as Self-employment. 

[edited 01/31/2019 I 3:28pm]

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5234727

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies