turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msgullo

Where do I enter an additional payment I made to the IRS?

I wrote a check at the end of the year to the IRS to cover tax on the gains of a stock sale
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

You'll enter that as an "estimated payment" by clicking on the Federal Taxes tab, then Deductions & Credits, then scroll down to Estimates & Other Taxes Paid and select Estimates.

This will take you to the Estimated Tax Payments page where you'll see categories for federal, state, and local estimates. Select Federal Estimated Taxes for 2016 and answer the question "yes" for did you pay federal estimated payments?

Then you'll see an input box for each quarter of the year.  If you made the payment in the final quarter (or in January 2017) then enter the amount paid in the 4th Quarter box, and adjust the date to reflect your actual date paid.

This payment will appear on line 65 of the 1040.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM

You'll enter that as an "estimated payment" by clicking on the Federal Taxes tab, then Deductions & Credits, then scroll down to Estimates & Other Taxes Paid and select Estimates.

This will take you to the Estimated Tax Payments page where you'll see categories for federal, state, and local estimates. Select Federal Estimated Taxes for 2016 and answer the question "yes" for did you pay federal estimated payments?

Then you'll see an input box for each quarter of the year.  If you made the payment in the final quarter (or in January 2017) then enter the amount paid in the 4th Quarter box, and adjust the date to reflect your actual date paid.

This payment will appear on line 65 of the 1040.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies