Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When you change from single to married on taxes or on w4 will they ask they date you got marries

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

When you change from single to married on taxes or on w4 will they ask they date you got marries

No.  And the W-4 change is only for the purposes of tax withholding.

On your actual tax return, your marital status is determined as of December 31 of the tax year.

okay what does that mean determined as of Dec 31 of the tax year?

If you are legally married on December 31, 2017, you cannot filed as Single for the 2017 tax year (and vice-versa). In  other words, you do not file part of the year as Single and part as Married.

And the W4 doesnt have to match your actual filing status and how you file your tax return.  I'm married but put single on my W4 to have more taxes taken out of my pay so I don't owe so much in April on my tax return.

VolvoGirl so when you do your tax returns do you file as married?

Yes.  I file a Married Joint return.  We both work so I need to have more witholding taken out. Like sweetie jean said your filing status is what you were on Dec 31.  If you are married as of Dec 31 you have to file Married Joint or Married filing Separate even if you just got married on Dec 31.

Oh okay now it all makes sense I was told I had to put the date I got married on my taxes like if I got married in August 22nd is had to put that date in there.

Thank you both it really helped me a lot!!

Don't need a date on federal taxes.  Don't think you do for state either.  They must have meant for something else.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies