turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

k_mellen

When would I know if there was a problem with my tax return? It is taking longer than usual and I'm afraid my dependants other parent has tried to claim them. It's in the accepted status right now *22

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

When would I know if there was a problem with my tax return? It is taking longer than usual and I'm afraid my dependants other parent has tried to claim them. It's in the accepted status right now *22

If your return is showing ''accepted'' on TurboTax, you can now track it on the IRS website and get the current status.   Where's My Refund

When you are searching on the IRS website for your federal refund, you need to enter 3 pieces of information (exactly) for the IRS to be able to give you updates on your tax return.

• Social Security Number (if filing a joint return, use the SSN listed first to search WMR)
  • Filing Status - a common mistake is to confuse Single and Head of Household
  • Amount of Refund - the exact $ amount on your tax return, no cents

Note - If your tax return was accepted, you claimed the dependent(s) first.  Even if the other parent has mail-filed a return claiming the child(ren), the IRS will process both returns in the normal time frame.  They won't hold your return for that reason.  If you or the other parent does not file an amendment and remove the child(ren) by April 15, the IRS will take action, but it won't be until much later.  And if that happens, be sure to respond to the IRS quickly.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies