Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ThaoHuynh

When will Turbo Tax online allow 'NRA' in the space of SSN for foreigner spouse without SSN or ITIN?

2023 Publication 17, page 23  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf , in the case of married filing separately, 'NRA' can be used in the space of the non resident foreign spouse's SSN for a foreign spouse who does not have and is not required to have a SSN or ITIN. Why can Turbotax modify the form online to accommodate a value 'NRA' in the SSN filed for such scenario?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

When will Turbo Tax online allow 'NRA' in the space of SSN for foreigner spouse without SSN or ITIN?

Here's a FAQ: How should I file my taxes if my spouse is a nonresident alien?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ThaoHuynh

Thanks Catina!

I have read the article with the option of 'Print your entire tax return, write “NRA” where the spouse's social security number or ITIN should be, and mail it to the appropriate IRS office'. But my question is will TurboTax allows the option of inputting 'NRA' as value right in the form online in the future instead of printing out the return and manually input 'RNA' and mail to the IRS.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax does not support printing NRA in the SSN/ITIN field on the tax return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The IRS does not allow an alpha character to be entered in a numerical field on the federal tax return when e-filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies