Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will the 2021 8915-f form be available on Turbo Tax to efile?

@TravisTractor wrote:

I am using the Desktop installed software version and there is no drop down for COVID! FFS! What is wrong with turbo tax. 99% of the people are using this form for COVID and the COVID disaster reason is missing! 

There is no dropdown for a Covid-19 distribution for tax year 2021 when entering a 2021 Form 1099-R.  That was only available for tax year 2020.

What are you trying to do?  Did you have a Covid-19 related distribution in 2020 and spread the distribution over 3 years?

If so, you have to answer the questions in the Retirement section of the program.

Asks if you took a disaster distribution in prior year, answer Yes

Asks if you took a 2020 disaster distribution, Answer Yes

The Coronavirus distribution box is Checked

2020 Form 8915-E, line 4, column b has a 0

2020 Form 8915-E, line 9 has 1/3 of the amount distributed in 2020

I went to the 1099 R section and answered all the questions about the 2020 covid withdrawal.  It did not change my federal return and I do not see 8915-F on my return.. I have not E filed yet..  When I search for the form in the help area it says it cannot locate 8915-F

Yes but it is not adding the 1/3 income to my total income...form is still incomplete..frustrating!

Still doesn't add the 1/3 amount to your total income ...incomplete still!

@Ialnyien1 wrote:

At this point, Turbotax really has no defense on why this form isn't filling out correctly for those that took a COVID related distribution.

It asks for a qualified disaster name, and COVID is not listed as one of them, however in Forms view, you have the option of the COVID checkbox. Doing this creates errors in the return though with the system highlighting that you can't take a COVID withdrawal in 2021.

I'm beyond frustrated at this point, I've utilized this software for YEARS, patiently waited until 3/24 for them to release, only to receive a buggy form.

Anyone have a better workaround than going into forms manually?

Asks if you received a Form 1099-R in 2021, if not answer No

Asks if you took a disaster distribution in prior year, answer Yes

Asks if you took a 2020 disaster distribution, Answer Yes

You have to make sure the Coronavirus distribution box is Checked

Looking at the actual form it asks you for the amount subject to tax (line 9) then how much you repaid (10) and then subtract 10 from 9 (which for most of us is the same as 9) so TT asks you to fill in line 9 twice, lame its' not but it makes sense, you're not being double taxed. It SHOULD ask you to fill in 9, then 11 or calculate it automatically.  Line 17 is the same thing for IRA instead of 401k...  I looked at the work sheet when it asked for the disaster name 1. I don't see that field on the worksheet, and 2. other things aren't filled in right.  That being said it appears to be calculating correctly if you did not repay any of the disbursement.  I guess I'll hit File??

If it is not adding the 1/3 amount to your total income that is not correct

cjob
Level 5

@DoninGA 

The error I get relates to Form 8915E which isn't to be filed or even be particularly relevant this year.  It wants a FEMA Disaster # which was irrelevant for 2020 Cares Act Distributions and should be irrelevant now.  And yes, all the boxes are ticked and the questions answered.  Looks like a glitch.  At least I haven't found a workaround yet and I've seen others just put Cares Act Covid in that field and had it work.

@Kated123 wrote:

If it is not adding the 1/3 amount to your total income that is not correct

It did on mine.  Entered 1/3 of the amount on the Form 1040 Line 5b.

cjob
Level 5

@Anonymous 

Did you not get an error for the 8915E FEMA number box?  Mine won't let me e-file until I have completed it....  And this field wasn't relevant in 2020 and sure isn't relevant in 2021.

cjob
Level 5

@DoninGA

Hmmm.  Ok.  If I fix the error message by completing that line on 8915-E for a FEMA number, it comes through at the top of 8915F as if I had a non-covid distribution.  So that isn't the fix some people thought it might be.

cjob
Level 5

@DoninGA 

Got it.  Last year for the 8915E to work properly you had to report the amount of your distribution in Box 4a and how much of that amount was a Qualified distribution in 4b.  This year, if you provide the amount from 8915E Line 4b in the field next to the check box for Coronavirus, you get the error message requiring a FEMA disaster number.  Deleted the prior year line 4b amount and everything seems fine now.

I don’t know if this is exactly correct but as the IRS instructions say to leave it blank if it’s corona related. So I just put a space where it asked for it, it accepted it, and let me send. 

I just updated to Premier Live to ask for help as I spread my taxes over three years. When inputting the data it didn't change my tax due. The support person informed me there is an error with the form that is expected to be resolved by 3/31 and to not submit the file as it will be incorrect. 

cjob
Level 5

@Potsey 

Ooooo.  Good idea.  Worked fine for me that way.  Thank you.  I had just left the field blank but I like this method better.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies