Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will the 2021 8915-f form be available on Turbo Tax to efile?

I asked on a live chat and didn’t get a definite answer but the expert I was talking to said that if you filed last year with TurboTax it should just be an extension off that. 

@A70farmer wrote:

Question has already been asked - but I'll try again since there was no answer. Once the 8915-F is available, do we need another 1099-R, or just continue working off the 2020 1099-R for the CARES Act withdrawal?

No 1099-R will be issued.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

If u did the 1099-R with withdrawal on last year's taxes and choose to do it over 3 years.

Do you still have to enter 1099-R for this year to get the 8915 for to generate?

@sebaz1994 wrote:

If u did the 1099-R with withdrawal on last year's taxes and choose to do it over 3 years.

Do you still have to enter 1099-R for this year to get the 8915 for to generate?

No, but you go to the 1099-R interview and it will ask if you have a 1099-R to enter - say no and then it will ask if you had a disaster distribution - say yes.  It will take you to then 8915-F when it is ready.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks

You use the 1099r from 2020

@Mhenly wrote:

You use the 1099r from 2020

No, you do not.

You simply go to the IRA distribution section in TurboTax and it will ask you if you received  2021 1099-R.  If  you did not then answer NO, and then it will ask if you had a prior year disaster distribution - answer YES. That will give you the screen to enter the 8915-F data.

My question is will a new 1099-R form be issued if I took the cares act withdrawal in 2020, but choose to pay over 3 years?  Was the federal tax withheld in 2020 also applied over the 3 filing years, or was it applied fully on my 2020 return even though I opted to spread the tax over 3 years?  

thank you for any feedback. 

@Mdelong1375 wrote:

My question is will a new 1099-R form be issued if I took the cares act withdrawal in 2020, but choose to pay over 3 years?  Was the federal tax withheld in 2020 also applied over the 3 filing years, or was it applied fully on my 2020 return even though I opted to spread the tax over 3 years?  

thank you for any feedback. 

No, you will not receive another form 1099-R for the distribution from 2020.  The federal taxes withheld on the 2020 Form 1099-R was only entered on the 2020 tax return as a tax payment in 2020.

You will be asked in the section for entering a 1099-R if you received a form in 2021, if you did not then answer No.  The program then will ask about a Coronavirus distribution in 2020 which you would answer Yes.  It will then take you through reporting the 1/3 of the amount received on your 2021 return. 

Those questions will not be asked until the Form 8915-F is available from the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the 8915-F - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement-tax-credits-and-deductions/help/what-is-form-8915-e-qua...

So the form want be ready til March🤦🏾‍♀️ I gotta pay my son tuition.

@Shavonne  wrote:

So the form want be ready til March🤦🏾‍♀️ I gotta pay my son tuition.

Nobody knows.  Could be sooner, could be later.

That would be nice. So basically to make out 2nd payment we have to wait for new 8915f? So frustrating. 

SDK4

I filed the fist year in 2020 .. I understand I will not receive another 1099r but everything says to enter it for 2021 and wait for the 8915 form .. will I enter the same 1099 from 2020 ?

I totally agree with you. Turbotax should have some sort of alert in their software to let people know that they need to file 8915 f!  After I did my taxes, I realized that I had not accounted for the other third of my Covid hardship withdrawal that I took out in 2020. Nothing in the software alerted me. It is only when I went back to look specifically for it, did I find it. Turbotax has to do better.

Frustrating to say the least. I am going to reach out to my local congressional office in the morning. If I took out a hardship withdrawal, obviously I needed the money. Why would they now make me wait for  a form that they recently created, as if tax season wasn't coming, and then say it won't be expedited since it is one of the forms that people rarely use??? Priceless.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies