Solved: When will I be able to purchase software updates f...

dave60534

When will I be able to purchase software updates for 2020 Form 1040?

When will I be able to purchase software updates for 2020 Form 1040? I want 2020, NOT 2019 or some earlier version.

The software for 2020 returns will be available in mid to late November.  You do not purchase an "update" though.  Each tax year has its own software.  2019 software cannot be updated for 2020.  If you are using desktop software you need the new 2020 software.

dave60534

Thank you very much for a straight forward answer.

macuser_22

Also note that the November release is only a very preliminary version lacking many forms that the IRS will not even release until sometime January.   Also Congress has until Dec 31 to make tax law changes that can cause forms to be revised and that takes time.   There will probably be several updates before a return can be completed and filed.  Usually the IRS does not open filing until the end of January.