turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I attempt to file my CA state taxes, it says that there is a $25 fee, plus an early state filing fee of $20. What and why is there a $20 fee?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

When I attempt to file my CA state taxes, it says that there is a $25 fee, plus an early state filing fee of $20. What and why is there a $20 fee?

@stevebor1 

Are you sure that's a "Plus" $20?

The notice is supposed to indicate the state filing fee is $25 now...but it "WAS" (or would have been)  $20 if you had filed earlier....i.e. before March 1st.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Yes. Because when I check out the total comes to $45. The $25, plus the $20 early filing fee

No you misunderstood.  The filing fee is $25.  The $45 is in addition to the 25.  So it really will be $70.   The Extra $40 Refund Processing Service charge (45 in California) is to have the $25/fee deducted from your federal refund.  You can avoid that by paying the fee upfront with a credit card.  Go back through the File tab Slowly and watch what you click on.  There is one screen that can trip you up.  People get going too fast and clicking on the right corner box to continue.  But you have to click on the left box to pay with a credit card to avoid the fee. See the very last post with screenshot on this one 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/why-can-t-i-remove-premium-service-benefits-from-... 

I originally chose not to pay from return and it was still saying $45.  Tried it twice, and even tried with the pay from return option to confirm. I ended up closing the app and went back to File my Taxes, and now it is showing $25 only. Thanks.

Glad you got it fixed.  Did you do a program update in the middle of that?  An Update probably fixed it.  Are you on Windows or Mac?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies