turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

payneslk

When filing my tax return, I indicated Medicare as my insurance. It now wants to know the federal ID number for my insurance. I don't know this. Help.

Do I really need to enter a federal ID number for Medicare? I can't seem to bypass this question in order to submit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

When filing my tax return, I indicated Medicare as my insurance. It now wants to know the federal ID number for my insurance. I don't know this. Help.

You can locate My Account from within the interview.  (I've attached an image below for clarity)

It says you are using Deluxe Online, so it shouldn't be hiding. Are you using an IPad or phone, or something other than a computer web browser? Or are you actually using our software? Maybe you need to minimize your internet font size to see it? Or use a scroll bar to unhide it?

You probably just need to delete the 1099-HC form. If you changed your response to Medicare (and had it at "private insurance" before), the program will no longer want a 1099-HC. However, sometimes "activating" the 1099-HC form before won't remove it from the internet memory. You have to delete the 1099-HC if and when that happens. It would be listed in the Massachusetts Forms:

-My Account

-Tools

-Delete a Form

View solution in original post

10 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Where are you seeing this question? Are you trying to type in a 1095-A?
payneslk

I have completed the info to submit my tax returns. Before I can submit them, I get the Check This Entry screen. It states "Taxpayer's Health Insurance Worksheet: Insurance company federal identification number must be entered. Ins Co ID number _______________"
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Please go to My Account- Tools- Delete A Form. Do you see a 1095-A form? If so, delete.
You are not asked for an FEIN, but you may have accidentally triggered an input of a 1095-A
payneslk

Where do I find My Account? I found the tab for Tax Return, Federal Forms. I don't see a 1095-A form. The form that is looking for the FEIN is the Schedule HC Worksheet.
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Up top- top right inside your return. We can't see your return, so I didn't know it was Mass. Is it a Massachusetts error?
payneslk

Still not seeing My Account. On the top of my return, on the right are Upgrade, Help Center, Community.  It is under State Taxes where they ask about health coverage (Massachusetts). I indicated Medicare, and I got the message that seemed to indicate everything was OK. It wasn't until I went to review my return that they wanted the FEIN. (I had originally clicked the box that I also had private insurance --Tufts Health Plan/Tufts Medicare Complement, but then realized that I probably just needed to enter Medicare. So I deleted private insurance and just indicated Medicare.)
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

You can locate My Account from within the interview.  (I've attached an image below for clarity)

It says you are using Deluxe Online, so it shouldn't be hiding. Are you using an IPad or phone, or something other than a computer web browser? Or are you actually using our software? Maybe you need to minimize your internet font size to see it? Or use a scroll bar to unhide it?

You probably just need to delete the 1099-HC form. If you changed your response to Medicare (and had it at "private insurance" before), the program will no longer want a 1099-HC. However, sometimes "activating" the 1099-HC form before won't remove it from the internet memory. You have to delete the 1099-HC if and when that happens. It would be listed in the Massachusetts Forms:

-My Account

-Tools

-Delete a Form

payneslk

Finally success! I was using your software on my computer (Mac). I deleted the 1099-HC and was able to submit. Thank you!
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Oh, funny. Sometimes we forget that the Turbo Tax-type listed here in the forum may be misleading.
Glad you got it figured out. I don't use a Mac, so I just didn't think of it!
Kismetkat9
Returning Member

question on MA state return (part year): Health insurance is Medicare. Did not receive any notice - tax form asking for FEIN. ? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies