chenrt

When entering income for Self-Employment, no option to enter my 17 year old son's 1099-NEC. The only option is for me or my sponse. Why and how to enter minor's income?

MY DEPENDENT HAD A JOB

If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school job, summer job, etc. you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He/she can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but MUST indicate on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)

If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc or 1099NEC then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.  You may want to use this version of TT for that:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program

Yes your 17 year old can still be claimed as your dependent.   

MY DEPENDENT HAD A JOB

chenrt

Thank you so much for your detailed explanations!

With 1099NEC to pay self-employment tax through his own return, I expect I am still able to claim him as my dependent through my tax return.