DiamondSimone2

What state am I a resident of? What states should I file state returns for?

I grew up in Alabama. I currently have an Alabama license and my car is still registered there.

I was a student at the University of Kentucky until May 2019. I had two part time jobs there making less than $3000 total. 

In June of 2019, I relocated to Illinois for a salaried position. I am in a 18-24 month rotational program so I did not change my residency. However, I do rent an apartment and pay bills here. 

How should I file my taxes? Do I file a resident state tax return for Alabama although I didn’t earn any income there? Do I file non-resident for Kentucky? Illinois? 

HelenC12

No, you don't have to file an Alabama income tax return.

While you were at the University of KY, your resident state was Alabama.

• If all you earned was $3,000 in KY, you don't have to file with Kentucky because your modified gross income is not greater than $12,490; however, you will want to file a non-resident return to claim a refund of any Kentucky income tax withheld. See KY Department of Revenue Frequently asked questions.

While you're in IL, you'll file a part-year resident income tax return for the income you earned since June, 2019. See How do I file a part-year state return?

Related information

DiamondSimone2

@HelenC12 thank you so much! 

I seen something on the Alabama Department of Revenue site that said that an  Alabama resident that has earned a income of $4000 or more whether within or out of Alabama must file a State Tax Return. 

Does this not apply to me?

https://revenue.alabama.gov/individual-corporate/faq/individual-income-tax/

AmyC

While you were an AL resident, you stated that you made less than $3,000. You were a part year resident and your "part of the year" had income below the filing threshold. Once you accepted a real job and moved off to a new residency, you were no longer AL and they have no claim to that income.