Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What product should I purchase if I need to e-file multiple returns?

Will I be charged separately for each filing if I use the online version? Or should I download the software? I am just trying to find out the cheapest way since the software has gotten so expensive.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Yes buy the Desktop program, it can do unlimted returns.   The Online version is only good for 1 return and 1 account.  You have to pay for each return.

The CD/Download Desktop you buy and install the program, which can do unlimited returns. The returns are only saved on your computer and can not be accessed from anywhere else. And not saved at Turbo Tax. So Be sure to save Frequently and make backups. You get 5 federal efile for free. In Deluxe and above you get 1 state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns (in that state). Each state return including the first one is $20 early or $25 to efile or you can print and mail the state for free. The Desktop programs do not have the expert help that is available to add to Online versions.

Desktop also has many other features and advantages over the Online version. You can do more than 1 return. You can see and enter into the actual forms. It has a What-If worksheet. And you can use a lower version because all the Desktop versions have ALL the same forms. You just get more help in the higher versions. In online you have to upgrade to enter certain kinds of income. Like Premium for investments.

And the Desktop program is always available even after the year ends. Which is good if you ever need to amend your return after online website is closed or get audited and need your tax records.

You can buy the personal Desktop CD/Download program here or find it in stores and online,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download

And...the added comment:

IF you buy the TTX software from someone other than directly from TTX:

1) IF you need a state, the version labelled "Basic" does not include one free state software set.  So don't buy that.

2) IF buying "Deluxe" elsewhere, there is a sub-version that does NOT include a free state software set. So check the description carefully to make sure it says "Federal + State  on it.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies