moodyfan77

What is the file type/extension that is used to save copies of taxes on my PC?

I remember at one time seeing in File Explorer on my Windows 10 PC all of the different interim tax files for a given year. I remember being surprised at how large the files were. I want to "clean up" my computer and delete all of the interim files but I do not remember where I came across them or what the file extension was.

Thanks!
Hal

rjs

The file name extension that TurboTax uses for 2020 tax return data files is .tax2020. The default location is \Documents\TurboTax, but you could save a tax return file anywhere. TurboTax does not save "interim" versions of a tax return, unless you save them yourself by using "Save as" with a different file name. At most TurboTax saves one backup copy of a return. The file name is the same as the primary name, with a tilde (~) at the beginning.

rjs

moodyfan77

Thank you RJS......found them......the files are not as big as I thought they were....