Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is FATCA question on my 1099 misc tax form?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DeniseF1

The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) requires a participating foreign financial institution to report all United States account holders that are specified United States persons.

The checkbox doesn't impact your personal tax return.  Don't check the FATCA box in TurboTax unless it appears and is checked on the actual 1099-MISC you received. 

The FATCA box is a requirement for when banks issue 1099-INT forms. The checkbox isn't something that produces a result with the input of interest income. If the FATCA filing requirement box is checked, the payer is reporting on this Form 1099 to satisfy its chapter 4 account reporting requirement. If you don't have a 1099-INT in reality, it's not really relevant.

Turbo Tax includes your ability to check it, just because some people have it checked on their actual forms. It doesn't actually produce a result in Turbo Tax. So, it really doesn't matter if you check this box. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DeniseF1

The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) requires a participating foreign financial institution to report all United States account holders that are specified United States persons.

The checkbox doesn't impact your personal tax return.  Don't check the FATCA box in TurboTax unless it appears and is checked on the actual 1099-MISC you received. 

The FATCA box is a requirement for when banks issue 1099-INT forms. The checkbox isn't something that produces a result with the input of interest income. If the FATCA filing requirement box is checked, the payer is reporting on this Form 1099 to satisfy its chapter 4 account reporting requirement. If you don't have a 1099-INT in reality, it's not really relevant.

Turbo Tax includes your ability to check it, just because some people have it checked on their actual forms. It doesn't actually produce a result in Turbo Tax. So, it really doesn't matter if you check this box. 

"The FATCA box is a requirement for when banks issue 1099-INT forms"

Its not on my 1099-INT from TD Ameritrade

Do I still have to file the 1099 if the box is not checked on the 1099 from the radio station?  

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Yes, If you have a 1099-INT you will have to report it regardless of having the FATCA box checked or not.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies