turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is 14039 Form and if I haven't had any theft, why would I need to fill it out?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Patrice

What is 14039 Form and if I haven't had any theft, why would I need to fill it out?

If you find yourself a victim of identity theft or find yourself at risk of having your identity stolen, you can alert the IRS about your situation with Form 14039 Identity Theft Affidavit.

A written notice from the IRS may be your first indication of a problem. Identity thieves file fraudulent returns early; when you file after the IRS gets a return that carries your SSN, the IRS alerts you in writing. The agency also contacts suspected identity theft victims when their SSN matches that of a "taxpayer" who owes money or gets a refund that covers taxes due when it has no return on file.

Other red flags that result in a notice include questionable income from an unreported employer or a collection notice related to a return you never filed.

The IRS wants you to submit Form 14039 when you believe someone has unauthorized access to your personal information. Use the "potential victim" box when unfamiliar entries on a credit report, unusual credit card charges, a lost purse or a stolen wallet suggest identity theft.

If you know that your or your child's identity was stolen, check the second box to report that future returns may be "at risk." Include a copy of a government-issued ID and police report if available. Mail your affidavit to the address for suspicions or fax it to the number found on page two. Then call the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit's toll-free number: (800) 908-4490.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies