Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cmurdacco
Returning Member

What Intuit TurboTax Does is Misleading

The PREMIUM SERVICES BENEFIT being provided by Intuit Turbo Tax is a further continuance of Intuit Turbo Tax's years long practive of misleading its customers.  While this "benefit" and its cost are disclosed in a deceptive and nontransparent manner, Intuit is claiming this is a "processing fee" of $44 being assessed by the third party bank whom they agree to partner and do business with.

I work in the payment processing industry for a business with its own bank and they earn revenue by assessing interchange, or processing fees, to the MERCHANT to manage the payment on the MERCHANT's behalf.  To require each individual filer opting to pay for Intuit Turbo Tax services to cover a FURTHER processing fee, and at a flat rate amount as opposed to a mere percent of the sale like is typically rendered to a merchant no less, is tantamount to JUNK FEES.

Intuit TurboTax and their banking business partner are essentially requiring their users to pay $44 for the "service" of agreeing to accept their users payments.  To file my base federal refund, Intuit TurboTax is charging $59.  To pay that for that $59 cost-of-good provided by Intuit, they are assessing me a 75% processing, or interchange, rate.  Meanwhile, Intuit might be paying their bank less than 5% of the cost of the sale.

Shame on you, Intuit TurboTax.  Someone please notify me when the next class action lawsuit is filed again.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/turbotax-maker-intuit-barred-from-advertising-free-tax-service...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

The pay with refund for the TurboTax online account is totally optional.  You could have paid the account fee with a credit card with no further charges.

Go to this IRS website for other tax preparation software vendors - https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/browse-all-offers/

cmurdacco
Returning Member

Just because the service is optional, doesn't make it any less deceptive or misleading.  In fact, Intuit TurboTax advertises it as a processing fee required by a third party bank, which happens to come with enrollment in "added features" that have a normal cash value independent of TurboTax e-filing.

It is extremely deceptive.  It is a JUNK FEE.  And it is an unethical way to do business and earn revenue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies