jpsgreenvette14

what input causes turbo tax to think my wife did not have a High Deductible Health Plan when she did

I input my HSA information and have family coverage.  When if get to my wife's information, Turbo tax indicates she had a lapse in coverage in 2020 which is not true.  What do i need to do to correct this

Lind303

I have the same thing coming up for my husband.  He is covered under the family plan that I have.  It's asking "Did High Deductible Health Plan coverage lapse in 2020 due to disability?" and only gives the options of "yes, it ended due to disability" or "no, it ended for another reason."  

Lind303

I just found this answer on someone else's question and I am thinking it still might be the same issue with just a poorly worded question:

The question on the page before you see that there was a “lapse” in coverage is causing the issue.

On the previous page you should see the question, “What type of High Deductible Health Plan did [spouse] have on December 1, 2016?”.  The choices are Family, Self only, or None

If the spouse had been covered under the taxpayer's family plan, you might think you should answer Family to the question.  However, the answer should be None

It is referring to what type of plan the spouse held in their name on December 1, 2016.  If the spouse had their own separate HDHP on that date, then choose the type of plan that the spouse had.  If instead the spouse was covered under the plan in the taxpayer's name, then you should choose None.  (https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/turbo-tax-thinks-i-had-a-break-in-hdhp-health-pla...)