turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if I pay 100% (110%) of my actual 2018 taxes as the estimated tax during 2019, and still owe more tax at the end of 2019? Is there a penalty?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

What if I pay 100% (110%) of my actual 2018 taxes as the estimated tax during 2019, and still owe more tax at the end of 2019? Is there a penalty?

No.  If you pay 100% (110% - depending on your income) of your 2018 tax as either estimated tax or payroll withholding, and you still owe when you file your tax return, there is no penalty for underpayment of estimated tax, as long as the additional amount owed is paid by April 15.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

No.  If you pay 100% (110% - depending on your income) of your 2018 tax as either estimated tax or payroll withholding, and you still owe when you file your tax return, there is no penalty for underpayment of estimated tax, as long as the additional amount owed is paid by April 15.

mnv1234

I too paid 110% of my actual 2018 taxes in the April 15 2018 estimated tax payment (and no other payment the rest of the year), but I am still being assessed an underpayment penalty by TurboTax for 2018 taxes.  Why is there still a penalty?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies