Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if I have 2 w2

What if I have two W-2s from the same job should I submit up into one or do I need to enter them individually?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What if I have 2 w2

If your W-2s are identical down to the last number and letter, you can either keep the duplicate with your tax records or securely destroy it. Don't enter them both.

If one of your W-2s is mostly blank, just enter the other W-2 and make sure you include the info from the mostly-blank W-2. Usually, "blank" W-2s have additional Box 12 line items or entries for a second state in Boxes 15-20. Don't enter a separate W-2 if Box 1 is empty, as you won't be able to e-file.

Otherwise, if each W-2 has different Box 1 amounts which more or less add up to your yearly earnings at that job, enter each W-2 separately. You might get more than one W-2 if your employer switched to a different payroll provider or was taken over by another company, or if you worked at different jobs through the same agency.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

What if I have 2 w2

If your W-2s are identical down to the last number and letter, you can either keep the duplicate with your tax records or securely destroy it. Don't enter them both.

If one of your W-2s is mostly blank, just enter the other W-2 and make sure you include the info from the mostly-blank W-2. Usually, "blank" W-2s have additional Box 12 line items or entries for a second state in Boxes 15-20. Don't enter a separate W-2 if Box 1 is empty, as you won't be able to e-file.

Otherwise, if each W-2 has different Box 1 amounts which more or less add up to your yearly earnings at that job, enter each W-2 separately. You might get more than one W-2 if your employer switched to a different payroll provider or was taken over by another company, or if you worked at different jobs through the same agency.

What if I have 2 w2

Thanks for the speedy response!

What if I have 2 w2

You're welcome!
Inna3
Returning Member

What if I have 2 w2

I have a similar issue. I changed offices, but I still get paid by the same overall employer. I received two w-2s in the mail. One is completely filled out with DC listed as the state in box 15. The second w-2  has no information in boxes 1-14, with VA listed as the state in box 15 and amounts in boxes 16 and 17. 

Boxes 15-17 in both w-2s do not match. I have contacted my payroll office to confirm which state taxes were taken out of my income throughout the year and they informed me that no DC taxes were taken out, yet one of my w-2s lists DC in box 15.

My employer is located in DC and I live in VA and so I am guessing this is the reason for the two different w-2s, but under the tax reciprocity agreement between DC, MD, and VA, they should only be taking out VA taxes. 

My question is how do I enter in the w-2 information. Do I enter the w-2s separately or together?

If separately, what do I enter in the empty boxes to ensure that my taxes will e-file without error?

If together, do I just include the boxes 15-17 information from the mostly blank w-2 as another line in the other w-2?

[i.e. 

Box 15 --> DC; Box 16 --> (Amount from 1st W-2); Box 17 --> (Amount from 1st W-2)

Box 15 --> VA; Box 16 --> (Amount from 2nd W-2); Box 17 --> (Amount from 2nd W-2)

]

Or should I just only list VA in box 15 and enter the sum of the box 16 amounts and box 17 amounts from both w-2s?

[i.e. 

Box 15 --> VA; Box 16 --> (Amount from 1st W-2 + Amount from 2nd W-2);

Box 17 --> (Amount from 1st W-2 + Amount from 2nd W-2)]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies