If you had insurance due to a lay-off you may qualify for an exemption to the penalty for not having insurance for all of 2017:
1. Go to the Health Insurance Tab.
2. On the first question, you will answer that you will choose which months and for who had health insurance.
3. The next page wants you to select the boxes that you had health insurance. If you were laid-off in September, the IRS considers that if you had insurance for one day during a month, you were covered the entire month.
4. The following page lists the IRS exemptions that you may qualify to claim.
5. Once an exemption is claimed, you will need to choose the boxes when your exemption applied.
The following page will give you a determination if you will need to pay the penalty.