No W-2. Missing w-2:
If you haven’t received
your W-2, follow these four steps:
1. Contact your employer If you have not received your W-2, contact your employer to inquire if and when the W-2 was mailed. If it was mailed, it may have been returned to the employer because of an incorrect or incomplete address. After contacting the employer, allow a reasonable amount of time for them to resend or to issue the W-2.
2. Contact the IRS If you do not receive your W-2 by February 15th, contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. When you call, you must provide your name, address, city and state, including zip code, Social Security number, phone number and have the following information:
• Employer’s name, address, city and state, including zip code and phone number
• Dates of employment
• An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and when you worked for that employer during 2014. The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible.
3. File your return You still must file your tax return or request an extension to file April 15, 2015, even if you do not receive your Form W-2. If you have not received your Form W-2 by the due date, and have completed steps 1 and 2, you may use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Attach Form 4852 to the return, estimating income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. There may be a delay in any refund due while the information is verified.
4. File a Form 1040X if you later receive your missing W-2 after you filed your return using Form 4852, and the information may be different from what you reported on your return. If this happens, you must amend your return by filing a Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
First, please make every effort to get a Form W2 from your employer. Then, if you are still unsuccessful, when reporting your wages in Turbo Tax, you may indicate that you are preparing a substitute Form w2.
To do so, enter your income "as if" you have W2 form. Please enter as much information as possible, including employer's information and your income. On the screen immediately following the W2 data entry, check the box that says "Substitute Form - I didn't get a w2 from my employer and need to complete a substitute form". (see picture). Answer follow up questions.
You will need to file on paper if you need to file Form 4852, Substitute W2. Here is a link to the TurboTax Help article with more details: Form 4852 Substitute W2
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"