turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What if i didnt get a 1095A but got a 1095C?

I'm trying to file my taxes and its asking for a 1095-A but I have a 1095-c and it keep rejecting my taxes because it's asking for a 1095-A and I don't have a 1095-A ...  What am I supposed to do??? I only have 1095-C

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Do not enter your 1095-C into TurboTax.   You need to go in and delete the 1095-A you erroneously started in TurboTax.   To (really) delete the form, you will revisit the section and answer YES when asked if you received a 1095-A.  This is just so you can see the form to delete it if it is stuck.  

1. Search for 1095-A or search for 1095-a and use the Jump to 1095-a link to be taken to the questions.   

2. Answer the question about unemployment and the next screen will show your 1095-A that was started.

3. Use the Delete button or the trash can icon depending on your version to delete the form.

4. Confirm the deletion.

@Needmoney3580

Then resubmit your return.   If it rejects again after you go in and delete the form, healthcare.gov may have a 1095-A on file for you.   Use the instructions in the link below to verify whether or not you have a form there.   If you do, get it and enter it.   If you don't, use the $1 workaround in this link.   But delete the form using the instructions above before you attempt the workaround.  

1095-A reject and workaround 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jmckeith

My return was rejected because I didn't report 1095A.  I have a 1095C but can't see how to correct this error on the return.  Please help.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You do not enter your 1095-C into TurboTax; keep it with your tax records.   If you do not have a 1095-A (you can verify at www.healthcare.gov), you need to go back into your return, delete the 1095-A and/or Form 8962 and then re-submit your return for e-filing.

Here's the general procedure for viewing the forms list and deleting unwanted forms, schedules, and worksheets in TurboTax Online:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.   Delete Form 8962 and also delete Form 1095-A if there is one there.

After you no longer see    8962   or   1095-A    in the list, go through the File section again to re-submit your return.  

@jmckeith

I've been having very similar issues as most on this thread have. I have a 1095-C and did not receive healthcare through the marketplace. I received mine through my employer. After trying the "Delete 1095-A/ 8962"  forms, I would resubmit it and still get rejected.

As I'm reading through these posts, I'm seeing that if someone on your return has received healthcare through the marketplace it will flag it and reject it.

I'm claiming my son (age 5) on my return, and he received healthcare through the marketplace, but it was all through his mother's plan, under her name. And we are filing separately (not legally married).

So would I need to get the 1095-A form from her and enter that it into my return? Also, will this affect my refund as well?

Seems like the only way for me to submit without rejection at this time.

That stumped me a bit. 
ANSWER:
1095-A is only for policies with the Affordable Care Act, like Obama Care or state run ones like Covered California. There is a list if you look at the more info button.
If you Have 1095-B or 1095-C you have insurance thru your Employer, an Insurance company directly or from Medicare or State welfare or something like that.
1. Check the box for "I didn't receive a 1095-A" and ignore it.

2. Later you'll be asked if you had insurance the whole year, and answer yes to that (or the portion of the year you did have insurance). The proper forms will be filled out and you don't need to bother with it anymore.

That stumped me a bit. 
ANSWER:
1095-A is only for policies with the Affordable Care Act, like Obama Care or state run ones like Covered California. There is a list if you look at the more info button.
If you Have 1095-B or 1095-C you have insurance thru your Employer, an Insurance company directly or from Medicare or State welfare or something like that.
1. Check the box for "I didn't receive a 1095-A" and ignore it.

2. Later you'll be asked if you had insurance the whole year, and answer yes to that (or the portion of the year you did have insurance). The proper forms will be filled out and you don't need to bother with it anymore.

If you've itemized and are over the standard deduction limit, yes it is worth it.
If you're taking standard deduction and your deductions aren't close to the standard limit, it's not worth it.

I don't think you can both claim the same dependant on your tax forms. That agreement should be reached by claiming on alternate years or the person who has the child most of the time gets the deduction for the dependant.
If you are trying to split it halfway, get the form from your child's mother and enter it.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you need that 1095-A if you are claiming your son and he has a marketplace policy.    You can enter it and ''share it'' with his mother.   You can divide it up however you two see fit.   She can claim all of it and you none of it or you can split it 50/50.   It doesn't matter how you split it but it has to equal 100% between your two tax returns.    But you won't be able to e-file unless you enter the form for your son you are claiming.   @JLoredo

Rjr27

I am having the same problem

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you are claiming someone on your return that was on a 1095-A you will need to enter it in your return.

If it is the other parent that received the 1095-A, you will need to Allocate it as @DawnC suggested above.  

Here's more info on Allocating a Marketplace Premium

@Rjr27

I check no on the 1095A because I have a 1095c but it keeps rejecting my Emile for the tax for 1095a 

JStrick7
Returning Member

You are good to go.  It wants to know if you got the A form.

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

Do you have a dependent on your return that was covered by insurance through the Marketplace?  If so, then you would need to include their 1095-A on your return, even if you did not pay the insurance. 

When you are rejected for not filing form 8962, it is because IRS records show you or a dependent on your return had insurance through the marketplace

If you or no one on your return definitely did NOT have coverage through the Marketplace at anytime in 2021, then you can go to your 1095-A section in TurboTax and enter $1 for the January Premium amount and the SLCSP. This will generate the form, but not affect your taxes.  It will let the IRS then update their records. 

To enter $1 for the 8962 select the following:

• Deductions and Credits
  • Show more next to Medical
  • Start or Revisit next to ACA
  • Answer YES to did you receive a 1095-A
  • Enter 0's for the Marketplace Identifiers and Policy numbers
  • Enter $1 for January Premium and SLCSP.  Do not enter anything for the PTC
  • Continue through and submit your return.

@Nannieannd2 @JStrick7

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies