turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I share my my health insurance with my daughter whom I can't claim as dependent how I allocate the percentage

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I share my my health insurance with my daughter whom I can't claim as dependent how I allocate the percentage

You are allowed to allocate any way as long as the total from both returns equal 100%.  (Tip: You can input different amounts to see which is most beneficial- usually if the one with the lower income has the higher allocation (even up to 100%) you may save money on your taxes)

You should see amounts on your 1095-A, column A, B, and C. You and your non-dependent should agree on what percentage of those amounts you’ll claim on your return, and what percentage she’ll claim on hers. You can use anything from zero to 100 percent, as long it all adds up to 100 percent.

Example: Nate is working and not on his parents' tax return. He is on their Marketplace health plan and listed on their 1095-A. He didn't receive a 1095-A in his name.

He and his parents have to figure out how much of column A (monthly enrollment premiums), column B (monthly SLCSP) and column C (advanced payments) on their 1095-A will go on their return and Nate's return. They decided that Nate will enter 10% of those amounts on his return and his parents will enter 90% on their return. They could have decided to have 100% on the parents' return and zero percentage on Nate's return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You are allowed to allocate any way as long as the total from both returns equal 100%.  (Tip: You can input different amounts to see which is most beneficial- usually if the one with the lower income has the higher allocation (even up to 100%) you may save money on your taxes)

You should see amounts on your 1095-A, column A, B, and C. You and your non-dependent should agree on what percentage of those amounts you’ll claim on your return, and what percentage she’ll claim on hers. You can use anything from zero to 100 percent, as long it all adds up to 100 percent.

Example: Nate is working and not on his parents' tax return. He is on their Marketplace health plan and listed on their 1095-A. He didn't receive a 1095-A in his name.

He and his parents have to figure out how much of column A (monthly enrollment premiums), column B (monthly SLCSP) and column C (advanced payments) on their 1095-A will go on their return and Nate's return. They decided that Nate will enter 10% of those amounts on his return and his parents will enter 90% on their return. They could have decided to have 100% on the parents' return and zero percentage on Nate's return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dontax44

My client's tax return was rejected due to Form 8962 PTC missing from the return. He did not get a Form 1095-A in his name. His father was paying for the marketplace insurance. So from your answer I assume I have to allocate from the Form 1095-A that his father received.

Thanks so much for your answer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies