Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What does the download screen "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" mean?

When I open the download, the first screen I see asks "do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?"  The "no" box is highlighted.  When I click "no", I get an error message and cannot open the download.  What is happening?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What does the download screen "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" mean?

It is a part of Microsofts User Account Control.  Basically, it is a security warning that is designed to alert you whenever a software program is trying to make administrator-level changes to your computer.  TurboTax needs to have administrator rights in order to install and run on your computer, so when you click "No" the download won't open because the software will not work without these settings.  Of course, it is you decision to allow the installation, but the warning is designed more to alert you for unknown programs that are attempting such changes, not ones you are intentionally downloading.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

It is a part of Microsofts User Account Control.  Basically, it is a security warning that is designed to alert you whenever a software program is trying to make administrator-level changes to your computer.  TurboTax needs to have administrator rights in order to install and run on your computer, so when you click "No" the download won't open because the software will not work without these settings.  Of course, it is you decision to allow the installation, but the warning is designed more to alert you for unknown programs that are attempting such changes, not ones you are intentionally downloading.

brool111

I've had the same problem! but i said yes and it changed my computer screen a lot. i uninstalled the app off of my computer but it still wont go back to normal. What should i do

smolls1

When I get the pop up that says "do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" the only option is "no".  What can I do that will allow me to update my turbo tax software?

as indicated in the original post this is a YES/NO question.

Look more carefully.

If you are initiating the install, then you would answer YES.

Donas02w4

Yes I'm trying to Uninstall TeamViewer and I get that message if I hit Yes I will be allowing them to take control of my device...so how do I Uninstall TeamViewer?

Donas02w4

I'm trying Uninstall TeamViewer..

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Please review this link @Donas02w4.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
S0apsudz

I turned off the notification where it asks you for permission because it was getting annoying but now I regret it and want to turn the notification back on, do you know how I could do that? 

click the Windows button on your keyboard, then type "UAC" 

STUM20800685
Returning Member

stum20800685ese.gov.ae

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies