turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I need to do about my 4852 form

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DJS
Alumni
Alumni

What do I need to do about my 4852 form

Form 4852 serves as a substitute for Form W-2, Form W-2c, and Form 1099-R, and is completed by taxpayers or their representatives when:

• Their employer or payer does not give them a Form W-2 or Form 1099-R.
  • An employer or payer has issued an incorrect Form W-2 or Form 1099-R.

Attempt to get your Form W-2, Form W-2c, or Form 1099-R (original or corrected) from your employer or payer before contacting the IRS or filing Form 4852.
• If you don’t receive the missing or corrected form from your employer or payer by the end of February, you may call the IRS at 800-829-1040 for assistance. You must provide your name, address (including ZIP code), phone number, social security number, and dates of employment. You must also provide your employer’s or payer’s name, address (including ZIP code), and phone number. The IRS will contact your employer or payer and request the missing form. The IRS will also send you a Form 4852. If you don’t receive the missing form in sufficient time to file your income tax return timely, you may use the Form 4852 that the IRS sent you to file with your return. 

When you use TurboTax, we'll ask you a few questions to estimate your total wages and withholding using your final pay stub, and fill out Form 4852 based on your answers. The IRS doesn't allow Form 4852 to be filed electronically, so you'll need to print out the necessary forms and mail them to the IRS.

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies