turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kb3

What do I do with a 1099K from Tilt?

This is an AP marketed at colleges to simplify paying your roomates and friends instead of writing checks.  I also used it for several Fraternity socials.  I absolutely didn't receive any income it was all sort of like a funneling money program thru them, now I have a 1099K and not sure what to do with it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Although you technically do not have a business, you will still need to report that income on a Schedule C because you received that 1099-K.  However, since you did not net any real income, you can still report it with zero profit and no tax consequences. In order to do this, you will need to have the Self-Employed version of TurboTax as this is the only version that will handle business expenses.  

Under the Federal Taxes tab at the top, the first section is titled SELF-EMPLOYMENT INCOME/EXPENSES.       

In this section you can report the 1099-K 'income'.   You can call your self-employment income ''collecting'', ''facilitating'', ''middle manning'', or whatever you like; it really doesn't matter.   Report the 1099-K under ''Additional Income''.   The description doesn't matter here either.    Go through the business info screens; you can use code 999999 for business code. 

Answer, 'I did this work all year' and 'None of these apply' to the last questions in the business setup section. 

Once you have done that, you will be prompted to enter your expenses.  Report the amount you 'funneled' as business expenses.  You can use miscellaneous or commissions as the expense category.   As long as you expense the amount you received, you will avoid any self-employment taxes and still comply with the IRS's rules and regulations.  And always be sure to keep detailed records.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Although you technically do not have a business, you will still need to report that income on a Schedule C because you received that 1099-K.  However, since you did not net any real income, you can still report it with zero profit and no tax consequences. In order to do this, you will need to have the Self-Employed version of TurboTax as this is the only version that will handle business expenses.  

Under the Federal Taxes tab at the top, the first section is titled SELF-EMPLOYMENT INCOME/EXPENSES.       

In this section you can report the 1099-K 'income'.   You can call your self-employment income ''collecting'', ''facilitating'', ''middle manning'', or whatever you like; it really doesn't matter.   Report the 1099-K under ''Additional Income''.   The description doesn't matter here either.    Go through the business info screens; you can use code 999999 for business code. 

Answer, 'I did this work all year' and 'None of these apply' to the last questions in the business setup section. 

Once you have done that, you will be prompted to enter your expenses.  Report the amount you 'funneled' as business expenses.  You can use miscellaneous or commissions as the expense category.   As long as you expense the amount you received, you will avoid any self-employment taxes and still comply with the IRS's rules and regulations.  And always be sure to keep detailed records.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies