turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do i do if i didnt receive a 1099G for unemployment

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

43 Replies

this is not answering my question

the unemployment web site is useless. the phone numbers they provide are just as useless. I called 3 phone numbers and every time that person said call this number. What the hell
dangrape

This is typical NYS government red tape.  It should not be this &^$% hard to get 1099-ginfo.  Thanks again governor Cuomo.

lost 1099G 2017

How do I get the 1099G 2018 form?????  They never sent it. I had to file an extension.

Most states stopped sending it, and expect you to get it from their website.
Kadian

If you received unemployment benefits this year, you can expect to receive a Form 1099-G “Certain Government Payments” that lists the total amount of compensation you received. The IRS considers unemployment compensation to be taxable income—which you must report on your federal tax return. Some states also count unemployment benefits as taxable income.

Depending on your state, you may be able to get your 1099-G online. to determine how or when you will be receiving this form please contact your State's Department of Revenue.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302452

OverTaxd
Returning Member

If  you didn't receive a 1099-G from your state unemployment office, 1. fill out the TurboTax 1099-G as well as you can with an estimate or the correct numbers if you have them. This may not E-file in turbo tax if the program sees it as incomplete, but you can then 2. mail this as a paper copy with your taxes (certified will prove it was on time) by the deadline. I realize the Post Office seems archaic, but make certified copies to prove you were diligent. You can later file an amended form, but if you never receive a 1099-G, the estimate will have to do. 3. Try to call the IRS and let them know that you were unable to get a copy...they may be able to get the information and correct your form. (They will be happy to take your money). Best case scenario, you can email these to the person working your case and you can send a copy to your email as well.  Just try to get it in on time, even if it is partially incorrect. KEEP COPIES of all correspondence. One time I had to copy THEIR letters to me and mail them back. Cover yourself! Best of Luck...

I just filed my 2019 taxes.  I did not file in 2018.  What do I need to do for the stimulus and also for unemployment?  Also, as a server in a restaurant I wondered if the unemployment was retro back to the date of the pandemic mandatory date of close of business for my position within the company?

Please help!  Thank you, 

Debra Parsley

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Regarding the unemployment, that is administered at the state level, so we cannot give advice on how that will be handled. However, your state unemployment website should have guidance on this. 

If you filed your 2019 return, the IRS can use this information to calculate stimulus eligibility for you. 

Also, the IRS rolled out the "Get My Payment" tool here. According to IRS.gov, you can use the "Get My Payment" application to:

• Check your payment status
  • Confirm your payment type: direct deposit or check
  • Enter your bank account information for direct deposit if the IRS doesn't  have your direct deposit information and if they haven't sent your payment yet.
  • Receive paper check payments: If you moved since you last filed, let us know your new mailing address.

According to the IRS FAQs:

Get My Payment will display one of the following payment statuses:

1. Payment Status (one of two statuses) –

• A payment has been processed, a payment date is available, and payment is to be sent either by direct deposit or mail.
  • You are eligible, but a payment has not been processed and a payment date is not available.

2. Need More Information – You are eligible for a payment, but we do not have your direct deposit information. You will be given the opportunity to provide your bank information once you have properly verified your identity. Direct Deposit is the fastest way to get your EIP.

3. Payment Status Not Available – We cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time. For example, this could mean:

• You are required to file a tax return, but:
    • We haven't finished processing your 2019 return
    • The application doesn't yet have your data; we’re working on adding more data to allow more people to use it.
  • You don't usually file a return, and:
    • You used Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here but we haven’t processed your entry yet
    • You receive an SSA or RRB Form 1099 or SSI or VA benefits; information has not been loaded onto our systems yet for people who don’t normally file a tax return.
  • You’re not eligible for a payment (see Eligibility).

If a payment date is not provided, updates to your payment status are made no more than once per day.

@Debrakathryn

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

[PII removed] are both waiting for are papers for taxes so we can file 

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

The due date for Forms 1099-G to get to recipients isn't until January 31st, so just sit tight until then.

Please see Guide to Information Returns in the IRS's General Instructions for Certain Information Returns for more information.

If you don't receive your 1099-G by that date, you should contact the relevant state office to inquire about its status.

I don't think the experts understand our question.  The State Unemployment offices have been inundated with claims this past year due to COVID and record numer of claims.  They are NOT answering phones or responding to email - so there is absolutely no way for us to request copies of our 1099-Gs.  I have been trying for 3 months to reach someone to change my address to avoid not getting this form.

So - what happens if we don't ever receive a 1099-G.  Turbo Tax won't allow us to complete our taxes without the EIC number.  If I wanted to file a paper copy of my taxes I'd do everything by hand and bypass the ridiculous fee Turbo Tax charges.   (I've been using Turbo Tax for the past 15 years and have never been so frustrated with the product as I am right now with this issue)

At least allow us to enter the details we have without the EIC and file our taxes.

The IRS won't open until Feb 12 so there's no hurry to file.  

Some states will mail out the 1099G.  Or you might need to go to your state’s unemployment website and use the password, etc. that you have been using to certify for weekly benefits to get your 1099G from the state’s site.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies