Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

epark8

What company does turbo tax use when paying federal tax

credit card payment federal tax
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I highly recommend you pay directly on the fed or state websites as the fees will probably be lower ... 

www.IRS.gov/pay  

@epark8 - if you use your credit card to pay federal tax, the company that pays the money to the IRS is the company named on the back of your credit card, "your bank".

what are your really trying to understand? 

it is best to simply pay at the IRS website - no fees. 

Turbo Tax doesn't pay your tax.  They only send the payment info you enter to the IRS.  

How to pay the IRS
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-can-i-pay-my-federal-taxes/01/26212

Or Pay the IRS directly at
https://www.irs.gov/payments

Carl
Level 15

When you owe taxes, TurboTax does not act as a middleman in that transaction. When you enter payment information on your tax return, that information is forwarded to the taxing authority and the taxing authority debits directly using whatever payment method you chose.

What was being asked was what THIRD PARTY PROCESSOR does TT use for sending CC payments to the IRS  ... I don't know but it would be cheaper by going to the IRS site directly.  

payment options 2022 - 3.jpg

IRS site fees ... CC is cheaper than Debit cards  but  direct pay is free  https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

1b.jpg

maybe the confusion is that when you pay with a credit card, there are multiple parties involved - and that is true  whenever you use your credit card.

There is the 'processor' - they just send the information from the website to the credit card issuer.   The information normally travels on the VISA or MASTERCARD networks.  Each take a small fee for providing the service. 

The issuer is normally your bank and is the name listed on the back of the plastic card issued to you.  THEY send the money from THEIR own account to whomever you ask to be paid.   THe issuer is the company that bills you (Your credit card statement) and is taking the risk that you will repay them for what you just borrowed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies