turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dbschein

My product is trying to charge me $45 for each additional state but on your website it states that I can use up to 5 states.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My product is trying to charge me $45 for each additional state but on your website it states that I can use up to 5 states.

With a fee of 44.99 per additional (different) state, that sounds like you are using the desktop (CD/download) version.    Some of the desktop editions come with 1 state program included.  With that one state program you can prepare multiple returns for that one state.  There is a 24.99 efile fee for each state return (except free for New York.).  There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.

However, each additional state program (i.e., a different state) is 44.99.

I'm not sure where you saw the figure "5."    In the desktop product, you get 5 free Federal efiles. 

Or perhaps you saw that the online version can prepare up to a limit of 5 different states per Federal return (but even there, each state is an additional fee of 39.99).

View solution in original post

11 Replies

There are fees for additional state returns in both the online products and the desktop products.   
Please confirm what product you are using.  

Are you using the desktop product installed on your computer (CD/download), and which edition--Basic, Deluxe, Premier, or Home and Business?
Or are you using the Online product--Free, PLUS, Deluxe, Premier, Self-Employed?

I suspect you are using the CD/download version, so in the interest of time, I went ahead and left an answer below if that is indeed the case.

What a rip-off. $45 for each state when I've already entered all the information when I filled out federal return? I bought the Home and Business Download for $75. If I have to pay $45 per state for software and $25 for filing fee - F**K - that's ridiculous

One state program is included with Home and Business Edition.  Each additional state program is 44.99, and there is a 24.99 state efile fee for each state return, except no state efile fee for New York state return.  There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.

If the state returns are simple, another choice would be to download the state forms and instructions from the state tax agency's website and prepare them by hand for free.

OP is asking from Vista, which cannot run the desktop version,

OP posted this thread a year ago, so the 2016 product could run on Vista SP2.   I was responding now to the latest comment of an hour ago from an add-on user paddams.

With a fee of 44.99 per additional (different) state, that sounds like you are using the desktop (CD/download) version.    Some of the desktop editions come with 1 state program included.  With that one state program you can prepare multiple returns for that one state.  There is a 24.99 efile fee for each state return (except free for New York.).  There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.

However, each additional state program (i.e., a different state) is 44.99.

I'm not sure where you saw the figure "5."    In the desktop product, you get 5 free Federal efiles. 

Or perhaps you saw that the online version can prepare up to a limit of 5 different states per Federal return (but even there, each state is an additional fee of 39.99).

12Z5M2S

VERY  misleading or ambiguous info on being able to do several State returns... For a single guy, only needing to do ONE return (fed) and TWO States, your product ends up costing considerably more... not happy

Who knowx

Use TaxAct. Some states offer free calculation and online filing on their tax we sites.

waymao

First, make sure you have only ONE (1) Turbo Tax file.  If you have several state files, save others to another location in your computer, so that when you open Turbo Tax, there is only ONE file.

During e-filing, e-file Federal Tax only first.  It's free.  (choose mail-in for the state return)

Once Federal Tax return filing finished, go back and e-file the state return.  When Turbo Tax pop-up box asks for "username/password", choose "continue as a guest" at the bottom.

Provide your info (name/address/credit card).  

Done!

Happy filing.

waymao

You don't have to pay $45.  See the last reply.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies