turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wells Fargo home mortgage remediation check for error during payment assistance

Out of the blue, I received a check from Wells Fargo Home Mortgage for a home that they forclosed on in 2011.   I lost this home to foreclosure after a lengthy back and forth with Wells Fargo Home Mortgage.

The check came with a letter stating: "Dear Mr_________:  During a review of your account, we identified that when the loan was considered for payment assistance options, it may have been improperly denied.  As a result, we are including a check for $X.  When applicable we are also waiving fees related to this error or providing account credit or both.  

- The check may include amounts for differences in interest, monthly payments, principal balance, fees or any combination of these.

- This payment is in addition to any amount we may have previously sent.   We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

I want to know if this is counted as taxable income.  Wells Fargo explained to me that if it was as such, they would send a 1099 misc by January 31st of this year.  I have not received a 1099 from them to date.  I also called Wells Fargo Home Mortgage remediation about not having received the 1099 and they stated that after looking into the payment, that no IRS reports were made and thus no 1099 was to be sent.  I just need to know how to move forward so that I can have Turbo Tax prepare my taxes bythe deadline.  Thank-you for any info.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you contacted Wells Fargo and they stated no IRS reports were made, it doesn't sound like taxable income. If this is the case, nothing needs to be entered regarding this on your tax return.

It sounds like reimbursements of payments to me, so that makes sense it would not be taxable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank-you so much for your help.  This has been bothering me ever since.  Now I can have Turbo Tax prepare my returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies