Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ukhatri

We need to file a joint account, Turbo tax started with my self employed form, I need to talk to a live person. Can you call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx ? Thanks.

Can I speak with a live accountant please ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

We need to file a joint account, Turbo tax started with my self employed form, I need to talk to a live person. Can you call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx ? Thanks.

Self-Employed is not a filing status.  Self-employed is if you are a sole proprietor or an independent contractor and do not have an employer.  If you are self-employed you enter your income and expenses on Schedule C which is part of your personal tax return, Form 1040.

If you have entered a Form 1099-MISC with income shown in box 7 of the form, this would indicate to the program that you are self-employed, thereby requiring the use of the Self-Employed edition to report the income and expenses for your self-employment.

You select that you are Married in the My Info section of the program and that you will be filing the tax return with your spouse.  That means your filing status will be Married Filing Jointly.

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over with a lower priced edition. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2019 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

OR -

Use the TurboTax Free File program if you are eligible - https://freefile.intuit.com/
If you are eligible you can use the TurboTax Free File Program which is free to file both a federal and state tax return. The Free File Program edition is a full featured personal tax program and on a separate website from the TurboTax online editions.

To qualify for free 2019 federal and state tax returns with the Free File Program, you'll need to meet at least one of these requirements:

• A maximum 2019 adjusted gross income (AGI) of $36,000; or
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • You served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum 2019 AGI of $69,000 (you'll also need a military-issued W-2).

You can jump around and enter your W2s, 1099s and income and deductions in any order.  Joint is one return combined for all your income including your self employment.  

You probably need to use the Self Employed version.  You can enter Self Employment Income into Online Deluxe or Premier but if you have any expenses you will have to upgrade to the Self Employed version.

How to enter income from Self Employment

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/00/...

Carl
Level 15

If you are "IN FACT" self-employed as a sole proprietor or single member LLC, it *DOES* *NOT* *MATTER* if you are filing a joint return or not. A sole proprietorship or single member LLC can only have one owner, and one owner only. It does not matter if that one owner is filing a joint return with their spouse.

So if you are filing a joint return and are self-employed, only *ONE* of the two joint filers can be the owner of the business.

The above may not be accurate if you live in a community property state.

In the community property states of Louisiana, Arizona, California, Texas, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, and Wisconsin if you have a multi-member LLC where there are only two owners, those two owners are legally married to each other, and those two owners will be filing a joint 1040 tax return, they have the option of splitting all business income and expenses down the middle and each partner reporting their share of the business income/expenses on a separate SCH C for each tax filer on the joint return. That means your joint 1040 return will have two SCH C’s included with it – one for each owner. But this can present its own problems in the event of divorce, separation. The issues can become even more compounded upon the death of one of the owners. If that deceased owner’s will does not pass all assets to the surviving partner, then that surviving partner can find themselves in a tax hell, not to mention the problems that can arise with the “new” owner or owners.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies