Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We are telling me form 8621 is mandatory for assurance vie from France, can you confirm? How can I fill that into TurboTax?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

We are telling me form 8621 is mandatory for assurance vie from France, can you confirm? How can I fill that into TurboTax?

Yes, this income will need to be reported on Form 8621.  Form 8621 is not supported in TurboTax.  Click here for the 8621 Form: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8621.pdf

The easiest way to include this is to print and fill the form out by hand, attach it to your 1040 and mail it to the IRS. Please see article below for 8621 instructions: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6114657

Do you know if Form 8621 is appropriate for "Assurance Vie" from France
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Yes it is.

Can you explain why ? I had different answers on this same forum and CPAs, so I am confused

After looking at form 8938, in my opinion, a compte assurance vie is a wrapper account where you deposit money which is then invested. It is not a foreign security or foreign investment in a corporation. The custodian of the account is a bank and it must be treated as a foreign bank account.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies