turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ragaei

We are in higher income bracket. Wife makes about $500K, I make around $100K. I wonder if filing separately might be better for us?.

I have some rental properties which I can't claim losses because of income cutout. Same with student loans, medical expenses, etc. Maybe if we file separately I get to deduct the rental house depreciation? Or medical expenses? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieCo

We are in higher income bracket. Wife makes about $500K, I make around $100K. I wonder if filing separately might be better for us?.

If you are using a TurboTax CD/download version of the software, you can create more than one return with the software (and just not file them all), therefore you could create returns to see the comparison of filing separate versus joint -- create one return as joint and then two others for each of the married filing separate returns. 

The FAQ below is worded for a different scenario (filing federal joint and states separate), but the concepts are the same for creating joint and separate returns in TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301995

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies