Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IJW19

W4

My wife and I file jointly and work a total of 3 jobs. She has the highest salary so I understand that she will claim our kids on her W4 and proceed to fill it out using the multiple jobs worksheet. However, how do I fill out mine? Do I just fill out step 1 if I don't want any additional withholding? If that's the case, how will I be taxed?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ZeeEA20
Expert Alumni

W4

Hello @IJW19 

To calculate for multiple jobs and/or working spouse the easiest way to do that is to use TurboTax's W-4 Withholding Calculator . It will walk you through a series of questions about your income, tax deductions, and credits, and it provides instructions for completing Step 3 and 4 of the form.

Just remember, while you need to fill out a W-4 for each employer you work for, you should only complete Steps 2 through 4 for your highest paying job. For other jobs, leave those steps blank.

Hope this helps!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

IJW19

W4

The withholding calculator calculates the estimated additional tax needed to cover what we owe, correct. If we left 4c blank, we'd just have the standard tax rate withheld from each paycheck, right?

JBedford
Employee Tax Expert

W4

That's correct! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ZeeEA20
Expert Alumni

W4

The tax withholding calculator is an estimated result based on the information entered by tax payer which allows the employer withheld taxes from each paycheck. As long as the estimated amount is close to what you pay each year, you can leave 4c blank. 

You can divide the amount you usually pay in federal taxes by the number of paychecks you receive in a year to find out if any additional amount should be withheld each pay period. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies