turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member


I used to claim 2 on my taxes, how do I do this on the new W4 form??

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert


Hi boswedc!  The new Form W-4 can seem tricky compared to the older form when you entered personal exemptions.  Since we haven't had personal exemptions since the 2017 tax year, the IRS revised the Form W-4 in 2020 to better match the current tax law.  There is a W-4 Calculator that will take you step-by-step through the new Form W-4,




Once you complete the form, give it to your employer. Then, keep a close eye on your next few paychecks to see how the changes impacted your federal income tax withholding.  It's always a great idea to compare your total tax from your 2021 tax return to your year-to-date federal withholding on your most recent paystub, and project out to the end of the year.  This is helpful is 2022 will look similar to 2021 for you.


I hope you find this helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies