turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask the Experts Self-Employed & Gig Workers! >> Event happening TODAY!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W4 adjustments

I've always received a refund but for the past 2 years, I've owed despite my tax situation not changing. What adjustments need to be made to the W4 to receive a refund in 2024?

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

W4 adjustments

Hi, @Leoaugustus ! Well, the first thing I have to mention is that it just might be a good thing to owe some tax when you file your return! The reason I say this is that this means you had more of your money to spend throughout the year, rather than letting the IRS hold onto it for you! Myself, I try to arrange things so that when I file, I owe a small amount (less than $1,000). 


But with all that being said, the way to owe less/receive a refund at the end of the year is to have more tax withheld from each paycheck. You can ask for a specific dollar amount to be added to your withholding on the W-4 form, Step 4, item (c). Hope this helps! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies